Legal Counsel 1 at Fedex Express
Permanent Specialist position
Undisclosed cost to company
Posted 11 Oct 2018 by FedEx
About the Position
Job Purpose Statement:
Under general supervision, provides legal counsel and advice to the Company & its affiliates, in multiple countries, on assigned projects which may be complex, high impact and/or sensitive matters, which potentially impact the corporate & commercial activities of FedEx in MEISA. Ensures all business transactions conducted are legal (local, European, US legislation) and in accordance with corporate standards & codes of business conduct.
Legal Counsel 1 Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Contract Negotiation - Under supervision, provides support to management/ professional employees & the Legal department in the negotiation of less complex contracts by providing input to the development of strategy & tactics & by otherwise providing legal counsel throughout the contractual process. Develops contract documentation that meets corporate requirements whilst complying with all relevant local practice & legislation and supporting the best interests of the Company.
- Business network - Develops and maintains an effective network of business contacts at all levels of the organization including strategic and/or key decision making roles in order to ensure legal department is effectively integrated within the planning & decision making processes.
- Communications - Reviews all types of internal communications, including sensitive or potentially high impacting documents to identify potential legal or business impacts. Advises on how to improve the message & recommends approval to Legal management.
- Corporate Taxation - Works with the Tax department to identify significant opportunities for improved corporate structuring of legal entities. Consults with external counsel when necessary, to define the specific legal requirements.
- Litigation - Assesses the merits of different types of litigation claims & selects & briefs appropriate external counsel. Agrees the approach to be taken & oversees the case through to completion.
- Regional Projects - Supports regional projects by providing expertise to advise on the most effective legal solution, whilst protecting corporate interests and ensuring legal compliance.
- Labour Relations - Supports HR & Operations in developing effective negotiating strategies & tactics. Checks to ensure that planned action are legally acceptable under the local labour regime. Works directly with unions & works councils on specific issues as & when required
- Business Opportunities - Pro-actively identifies potential changes in business practices and discusses with the manager to agree risks or the opportunities for the business. Assists in determining the required actions to optimise results.
- Technical Expertise - Keeps updated on local & U.S. legal requirements relating to business ethics & practices and monitors compliance with those standards. Works with legal management to agree any corrective actions & reporting requirements & then co-ordinates implementation with the relevant function heads.
- Advisory Function - Provides appropriate legal advice & support to all levels of internal customers on diverse types of issues to ensure legality & consistency of approach.
- Knowledge Management - Develops and recommends appropriate training and education programmes to support the business in maintaining legality & avoiding potential pitfalls. Delivers agreed programmes.
- Business & Technical Expertise
- Commitment to Results
- Effective Communicator
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Team Alignments & Relationships
- Strong work ethic
- Good interpersonal skills
- Admitted Attorney
- 3 years + post qualification experience
- Corporate experience
- Exposure working within Africa (advantageous)
- Flexible to travel
- Clear criminal record
- admitted attorney
- contract negotiation
- labour relations
Desired Qualification Accreditation
This job may be removed before it expires.
Get jobs via email
Receive a daily digest of all new jobs matching this job. Your information is safe with us and you can cancel at any time