Legal Counsel at United National Breweries
Permanent Senior position
Undisclosed cost to company
Posted 09 Oct 2018 by United National Breweries
About the Position
To enable the UNB business to achieve its objectives in a legal and compliant way while unlocking commercial opportunity and enhancing UNB's reputation.
This role is responsible for providing effective and proactive management of legal risk through judicious advice to business functions, contract negotiation and documentation, management of litigation and training of staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide proactive and reactive commercial legal advice to enable business execution.
- Provide company secretarial and regulatory support to ensure that UNB operates compliantly in accordance with local laws.
- Ensure proper contracts are in place in and that the contract management system is maintained and current.
- Preserve value (financial and reputational) by minimising the risk of value leakage and litigation and maintaining compliance with laws and UNB Codes.
- Ensure all licences and permits required by UNB are in place.
- Embed best practice corporate governance in UNB.
- Embed good record management procedures.
- Enhance value by supporting the business to obtain tax gains.
- Recognised Legal degree essential which allows for admission as an attorney
- Being an admitted attorney would be an advantage
- 6 years post qualification experience as a Legal Practitioner in South Africa
- Strong commercial law experience, with a focus on: Negotiation and documentation of commercial contracts; and dealing with regulators and government stakeholders.
- Strong understanding of South African law and the South African regulatory system
- Expert drafting and negotiating skills
- Strong external radar and commercial acumen
- Excellent inter-personal/communication skills
- Ability to work confidently and stand ground with more senior managers and external stakeholders
- Ability to think outside the box to provide pragmatic commercial legal advice
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Legal Counsel
- Legal Practitioner
- South African laws
- South African regulatory system
- Contract Negotiation
- Commercial contracts
- Commercial law
- Management of litigation
Desired Qualification Accreditation
This job may be removed before it expires.
Get jobs via email
Receive a daily digest of all new jobs matching this job. Your information is safe with us and you can cancel at any time