Legal Advisor Division Legal Services at Stellenbosch University
Permanent Intermediate position
Stellenbosch University, Western Cape
Undisclosed basic salary
Job 2189112 | Ref RD/053/0218
Posted 12 Feb 2018 by Stellenbosch University
About the Position
For further information and to apply, visit [URL Removed]
The Legal Adviser is appointed to assist the office of the Senior Director: Legal Services and to achieve this goal, the following duties are included:
General Legal Advice and support to the University Management and Staff, including:
- Dealing with enquiries that are directed to the office of the Senior Director;
- Within a reasonable time, providing written and/or verbal feedback on enquiries received;
- Serving on various task teams / committees to provide guidance on the impact and legal implications that may be relevant to the specific matter discussed by the task team;
- Acting in the best interest of SU after considering all the interests, opinions and Email Address
Drafting and vetting legal documents:
- Vetting SU policies, regulations, management documents, rules and providing guidance about the implications of the document;
- Providing commentary when it is requested and ensuring that the necessary corrections are made to the document to ensure that the SU's interests are protected;
- Ensuring that legal and other documents are aligned with legislation.
- When requested, providing a thorough legal opinion about the impact, consequences and possible outcome of the situation;
- These opinions must consider various views and outcomes to ensure that it reflects a thorough opinion that provides guidance on the approach that would be in the bestinterest of the SU.
Liaising with external law firms and other internal and external stakeholders:
- Liaising with external law firms when SU is exposed to litigation;
- Acting as internal link and managing the communication to ensure clear instructions are given;
- Compiling a litigation report for submission to SU management.
Managing legal risk:
- Identifying legal risk and managing it in consultation with stakeholders;
- Drafting a policy and guidelines that will assist in managing legal risks;
- Introducing new and evaluating existing controls to ensure that legal risks are reduced.
- Working in close relation with the Senior Director: Legal Services, as well as independently;
- Assisting the Senior Director with exploring the higher education environment and acting as a link between the office of the Senior Director: Legal Services and other divisions;
- From time to time, attending consultations and discussions on behalf of the Senior Director: Legal Services and providing feedback on theseconsultations and discussions to the Senior Director: Legal Services;
- Drafting reports for the consideration of the Senior Director: Legal Services;
- The legal adviser could be deployed in other roles in Legal Services should the need arise;
- It may be required of the legal advisor to act as evidence leader during student disciplinary matters.
- LLB or other relevant professional degree or qualification
- At least two years' relevant legal experience after admission
- Knowledge of the relevant Higher Education issues and policies and legislation
- Admission as attorney (or similar professional registration) and appropriate post-admission experience
- Ability to work under pressure in a rapidly evolving environment that is client focused
- Fluent in English and Afrikaans with high levels of language proficiency
- Proficient in MS Office (Outlook and Excel and PowerPoint and Word) and the Internet
- Ability to link with internal and external clients with proactive assessment to add value
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team context in the interests of the greater institution
- Ability to work with external service providers
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
About The Employer
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Service Centre on Contact Number
Closing date: 23 February 2018
Commencement date: 1 April 2018
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application,comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail address of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Apply online at [URL Removed]
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
TheUniversity reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within four weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
This job may be removed before it expires.
Get jobs via email
Receive a daily digest of all new jobs matching this job. Your information is safe with us and you can cancel at any time