Paralegal at Stellenbosch University
Permanent Junior position
Stellenbosch University, Western Cape
Undisclosed basic salary
Job 2184242 | Ref RD/023/0118
Posted 28 Jan 2018 by Stellenbosch University
About the Position
For further information and to apply, visit [URL Removed]
- This role requires providing legal and administrative support to the Legal Advisor through: Reviewing contracts to confirm whether legalities have been complied with, e.g. whether contracting parties have been described accurately, whether certain clauses pose any risk and whether all clauses are complete;
- Drafting and performing risk analyses for commercial and commercial-related contracts;
- Drafting legal documents;
- Carrying out legal research;
- Liaising with various support divisions within SU during the contract vetting and negotiation process;
- Maintaining an effective electronic filing system;
- Organising and analysing information;
- Cross-checking and validating information;
- Preparing written reports and correspondence;
- Checking and editing legal forms and documents for accuracy;
- Building and maintaining databases and organising and tracking case files;
- Creating, maintaining and organising a legal library for all legal opinions, guidance and other responses from external legal resources, pertaining to ad hoc legal matters and commercial contracts;
- Establishing and maintaining accurate electronic databases and distribution and contact lists;
- Compiling and editing correspondence, reports and other forms of communication;
- Responding to requests for documents and information;Independently dealing with routine enquiries;
- Attending to and/or referring urgent requests to relevant alternative resources in the Legal Advisor's absence;
- Performing routine administrative tasks;
- Typing letters, memoranda and other relevant documents;
- Handling and/or referring general high-level enquiries;
- Ensuring alignment to the other functions and responsibilities in the broader function of Legal Services;
- Rendering assistance to the Legal Advisor to expand and improve service delivery to all internal clients and stakeholders.
- This role also requires working with the Division's administrative officers who support the other members of Legal Services.
- Ad hoc duties
- Assisting in the preparation of relevant documentation;
- Assisting with the coordination of follow-up actions arising from meetings;
- Providing assistance with managing the Legal Advisor's e-mail inbox, as well as filing e-mails to folders in Outlook and SharePoint.
- Technical competence: Demonstrating technical proficiency and comprehending its impact on work unit responsibilities
- Planning and organising: Establishing policies and guidelines and plans and priorities required to meet work unit or organisation objectives in a structured and thorough manner
- Accuracy and attention to detail: The ability to consistently follow processes and complete tasks while being alert and thorough in order to maintain high standards of preciseness and correctness in work output
- Communication: Listening to and relaying information and expectations clearly to others
- Interpersonal effectiveness: Maintaining cooperative working relationships in order to achieve work goals
- Self-management: Showing adaptability to the changing world by taking advantage of new ways of doing things
- Service commitment: Adapting and maintaining a customer-focused mindset that acknowledges the importance and value of the customer and acting accordingly.
About The Employer
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Service Centre on Contact Number
Commencement date: 1 April 2018
Closing date: 9 February 2018
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail address of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Apply online at [URL Removed]
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within four weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
This job may be removed before it expires.
Get jobs via email
Receive a daily digest of all new jobs matching this job. Your information is safe with us and you can cancel at any time