Senior Legal Advisor Trade and Digital at Woolworths
Permanent Specialist position
Cape Town CBD, Western Cape
Undisclosed cost to company
Posted 19 Jan 2018 by Woolworths Pty (Ltd)
About the Position
Main Purpose :
The purpose of this role is to take full responsibility for all legal facets of all Trade and Digital related matters pertaining to Woolworths in South Africa and Africa
Key Responsibilities :
- Provide top-quality and efficient legal support, which includes drafting, reviewing and finalising contracts, attending to ad hoc legal queries and the management of any related litigation and disputes to:
- the IT team, including in respect of the acquisition or leasing of hardware or the acquisition, commission or licensing of software or IT specific projects;
- the Online team, including with respect to any commissioning or licensing agreements and all applicable website apps and other terms, conditions and policies;
- the Marketing team including with respect to any complaints lodged with the Advertising Standards Authority or in relation to the registration, use and licensing of intellectual property;
- the Foods team, including in respect of all food and food-related supply contracts;
- the FBH team, including in respect of all clothing and general merchandise-related supply contracts.
- Overall management of the Woolworths' intellectual property portfolio in South Africa and Africa, including:
- providing opinions;
- drafting licensing agreements;
- managing the Direct Reports, and external legal counsel in relation to trademark and domain name searches, applications, renewals, objections, infringements and disputes.
- Overall management of the Woolworths' Liquor licensing portfolio in South Africa and Africa, including managing the Direct Reports, and external legal counsel in relation to successful and timeous applications for, and administration of liquor licenses.
- Implement and assist in maintaining an effective contract management system in respect of the business units and departments falling in the Senior Legal Advisor's span of control.
- Update template contracts (as required) in respect of business units and departments falling in the Senior Legal Advisor's span of control.
- Provide training to business units and departments falling in the Senior Legal Advisor's span of control in respect of any new or amended applicable legislation.
- Assisting business units with advice on legislation and alignment of business processes and contracts in accordance with legislation.
- Comprehensive knowledge and application of POPI.
- Appoint and manage external legal service providers (where required) to support any contracting or commercial regulatory outcomes in a cost effective and efficient manner.
- Manage contracting processes for value in accordance with the organisation's playbooks and the Legal Project Management approach (to be developed). Regularly review playbooks and, where necessary, develop new playbooks and augment existing playbooks.
- Report to of business units and departments falling in the Senior Legal Advisor's span of control on a regular and consistent basis in relation to progress, costs and issues arising and obtain approval for material decisions.
- Provide regular written reports to the Head of Legal on material and critical matters managed by the Senior Legal Advisor.
- Where required, participate in briefings of Group Director GRC, Head of Legal, Business units and other stakeholders.
- Manage legal costs in accordance with internal budgets
Key Competencies :
- In depth knowledge of and demonstrable experience in respect of :
- the Consumer Protection Act;
- the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act;
- the Protection of Personal Information Act.
- the Copyright Act;
- the National and Provincial Liquor Acts and regulations;
- the Counterfeit Goods Act;
- the Designs Act;
- the Merchandise Marks Act;
- the Patents Act;
- the Prevention and Combatting of Corrupt Activities Act;
- Knowledge and understanding of:
- the Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Bill;
- the Competition Act;
- the VAT Act;
- the Customs and Excise Act.
- Knowledge, understanding and experience with international trade laws;
- In-depth knowledge of contract law.
- Expertise analysis of statutes and case law.
- Excellent drafting skills (including attention to detail) with particular experience in drafting all forms of Digital and trade related contracts.
- Demonstrable experience in "speed-to-contract" through contract design, process design and creative use of technology to support the business' priorities. Proven track record for contract completion.
- Demonstrable team management leadership experience.
- Experience in dealing with:
- the Advertising Standards Authority;
- the Consumer Commission;
- the Provincial Liquor Licensing boards.
- Proficient in the use and application of different technologies in the businesses.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Strong problem solving and solutions orientated skills.
- Planning and project management skills:
- Schedule-driven with ability to ensure that external and internal compliance obligations are met with accuracy and on time.
- Ability to work independently with no supervision.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Effective communication skills:
- Maturity to deal and communicate effectively with senior executives and other relevant external stakeholders.
- Aptitude to perform the role with discretion, diplomacy, tact, and emotional intelligence.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in written form.
- Integrity, independence and solid judgment. Imperative to be values-based in alignment with Woolies values-based leadership.
- Courage to raise issues and concerns and be accountable and transparent for all actions and decisions.
- The ability to assess and make sound judgements, often in circumstances involving conflicting issues and ends.
- Ability to train/ mentor other Legal Advisors in talent pipeline with a view to develop succession
- Excellent computer skills (including word processing, PowerPoint, Excel, Office and all Microsoft packages).
Job requirements & Experience :
Approximately 8 to 10 years of experience:
- in a commercial or contracts department of a reputable law firm; or
- as an in-house legal advisor in large corporate providing commercial and contracts legal support
- LLB degree.
- Admitted Attorney
- LLM or HDip in contracts or digital law would be highly desirable.
"As a proud South African brand, Woolworths is committed to transformation. Meeting our employment equity goals will be taken into account in our recruitment decisions"
- Strong verbal & written communication skills
- Analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Process driven
- Integrity and sound judgement
- Planning & Organising
- Pro-active & self-driven
This job may be removed before it expires.
Get jobs via email
Receive a daily digest of all new jobs matching this job. Your information is safe with us and you can cancel at any time