Legal Advisor Trade and Digital at Woolworths
Permanent Senior position
Cape Town CBD, Western Cape
Undisclosed cost to company
Posted 19 Jan 2018 by Woolworths Pty (Ltd)
About the Position
Main Purpose :
The purpose of this role is to support the Senior Legal Advisor: Digital and Trade with respect to digital and trade-related legal matters pertaining to Woolworths in South Africa and Africa.
Key Responsibilities :
- Provide top-quality and efficient legal support, under the supervision of the Senior Legal Advisor: Digital and Trade which includes drafting, reviewing and finalizing contracts, attending to ad hoc legal queries and the management of any related litigation and disputes to:
- the IT team, including in respect of the acquisition or leasing of hardware or the acquisition, commission or licensing of software or IT specific projects.
- the Online team, including with respect to any commissioning or licensing agreements and all applicable website app and other terms, conditions and policies;
- the Marketing team including with respect to any complaints lodged with the Advertising Standards Authority or in relation to the registration, use and licensing of intellectual property;
- the Foods team, including in respect of all food and food-related supply contracts;
- the FBH team, including in respect of all clothing and general merchandise-related supply contracts
- Support the Senior Legal Advisor with respect to the management of the Woolworths' intellectual property portfolio in South Africa and Africa, including:
- providing opinions;
- drafting licensing agreements;
- managing the Direct Reports, and external legal counsel in relation to trademark and domain name searches, applications, renewals, objections, infringements and disputes.
- Support the Senior Legal Advisor with respect to the management of the Woolworths' Liquor licensing portfolio in South Africa and Africa, including managing the Direct Reports, and external legal counsel in relation to applications for and administration of liquor licenses.
- Support the Senior Legal Advisor with respect to the implementation and maintenance of an effective contract management system in respect of the business units and departments falling in the Senior Legal Advisor's span of control.
- Provide regular written reports to the Senior Legal Advisor on the progress of matters and projects managed by the Legal Advisor.
- Generally support the Legal Advisor: Digital and Trade
Key Competencies :
- In depth knowledge of and demonstrable experience in respect of :
- the Consumer Protection Act;
- the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act;
- the Protection of Personal Information Act.
- the Copyright Act;
- the National and Provincial Liquor Act and regulations;
- the Counterfeit Goods Act;
- the Designs Act;
- the Merchandise Marks Act;
- the Patents Act;
- the Prevention and Combatting of Corrupt Activities Act;
- Knowledge and understanding of:
- the Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Bill;
- the Competition Act;
- the VAT Act;
- the Customs and Excise Act
- Knowledge, understanding and experience with international trade laws;
- In-depth knowledge of contract law.
- Expertise analysis of statutes and case law.
- Excellent drafting skills (including attention to detail) with particular experience in drafting all forms of Digital and trade related contracts
- Experience in dealing with:
- the Advertising Standards Authority;
- the Consumer Commission
- the Provincial Liquor Licensing boards
- Proficient in the use and application of different technologies in the businesses.
- Ability to work independently in relation to the finalization of template contracts.
- Effective communication skills:
- Maturity to deal and communicate effectively with senior executives and other relevant external stakeholders.
- Aptitude to perform the role with discretion, diplomacy, tact, and emotional intelligence.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in written form.
- Integrity, independence and solid judgment.
- Courage to raise issues and concerns and be accountable and transparent for all actions and decisions.
- The ability to assess and make sound judgments, often in circumstances involving conflicting issues and ends.
- Excellent computer skills (including word processing, PowerPoint, Excel, Office and all Microsoft packages).
Job requirements & Experience :
- Approximately 6 to 10 years of experience:
- in a commercial or contracts department of a reputable law firm;
- as an in-house legal advisor in large corporate providing commercial and contracts legal support
- LLB degree.
- Admitted Attorney.
- LLM or HDip in contracts or digital law would be highly desirable
"As a proud South African brand, Woolworths is committed to transformation. Meeting our employment equity goals will be taken into account in our recruitment decisions"
- Strong Verbal & written communication skills
- Analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- process driven
- Integrity and sound judgement
- Planning and Organising
- Pro-active and self driven
This job may be removed before it expires.
Get jobs via email
Receive a daily digest of all new jobs matching this job. Your information is safe with us and you can cancel at any time