Assistant Legal Advisor at Stellenbosch University
Permanent Intermediate position
Stellenbosch University, Western Cape
Undisclosed basic salary
Job 2161283 | Ref ANO/334/1017
Posted 01 Nov 2017 by Stellenbosch University
About the Position
For further information and to apply, visit [URL Removed]
- Drafting and performing risk analyses for research and research related contracts (including material transfer agreements, confidentiality agreements, collaboration agreements, research grants, consortium agreements, etc.) with research partners of SU;
- Vetting of, drafting of and providing assistance with the negotiation of research and research related contracts;
- Liaising with various support divisions within SU, as well as with researchers and research partners during the negotiation process;
- Rendering of legal advice and support to researchers with the interpretation and explanation of contractual terms and conditions related to research contracts, as well as with legal problems that may arise with the implementation of such contracts;
- Checking the project description and contract budgets along with the researchers and the project accountants, to ensure that it complies with SU's financial policy, taking into account the terms and conditions of the sponsored research grants where applicable;
- Drafting opinions and accompanying advice regarding changes in legislation, treaties, regulations and verdicts that may influence the terms and conditions of contracts, particularly in the national and international research and innovation arena;
- Lending assistance to the Director: Research Contracts and the Legal Advisors: Research Contracts, to expand and improve service delivery to the research community;
- Research contract administration.
- A legal qualification with completed clerkship at a law firm
- Sound knowledge of contract law
- good judgement and the ability to negotiate complex contractual terms and requirements
- The ability to efficiently work in a high pressure and fast moving environment in which a high premium is placed on client focused support
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both Afrikaans and English
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
About The Employer
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Service Centre on Contact Number
Closing date: 13 November 2017
Commencement date: 1 January 2018
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail address of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Apply online at [URL Removed]
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within four weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not
This job may be removed before it expires.
Get jobs via email
Receive a daily digest of all new jobs matching this job. Your information is safe with us and you can cancel at any time