Legal Advisor at MMI Holdings
Permanent Senior position
Undisclosed cost to company
Posted 19 Aug 2017 by MMI Holdings
About the Position
MMI Holdings Limited (MMI) is a South African based financial services group listed on the South African stock exchange, the JSE. The core businesses of MMI are long and short-term insurance, asset management, savings, investment, health care administration and employee benefits. These product and service solutions are provided to all market segments through operating brands Metropolitan and Momentum.
The Employee Relations Legal Advisor will be responsible for managing conflict and resolving disputes in partnership with divisions and externally. The position will also be responsible for Employee Relations and Labour Law matters within MMI Holdings locally, nationally and internationally together with the implementation of policies in compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Drivers license and own vehicle. It is a requirement that the incumbent will be able to travel.
- At least 3 years relevant professional experience, either in private practice or as inhouse counsel.
- Solid general labour law experience.
- Litigation and Arbitration experience.
- Technically minded with the ability to convert business management principles into coherent legal documents.
- Keen awareness of local legislation and regulations.
- Must be willing to function as part of a team.
Responsibilities and work outputs
- Drafting, negotiating of contracts and other policies and procedures.
- Legal assistance with regard to assisting clients.
- Monitor and advise on legislative and regulatory changes with special emphasis on legislation applicable to the business.
- legislation applicable to the business.
- Negotiation and mediation of internal disputes where appropriate.
- Liaising with external parties including attorneys and counsel.
- Legal support to HR, Recruitment and other operating departments.
- Ensure compliance to all relevant laws and regulations.
- Chairing of disciplinary Hearings.
- Representation at CCMA and labour court.
Perspective: Client Services
- Researching and drafting opinions, attend to queries on legal issues, check legal documentation and attend to general compliance.
- Advise on and facilitate grievance procedures and disciplinary procedures.
- Compilation of contracts: including settlement agreements, retrenchment agreements and addendums to existing contracts.
- Drafting and updating of company policies in line with contemporary labour legislation.
- Responsible for management of restructures, mergers, take-overs, transfers of going concerns, and retrenchments.
- Responsible for external dispute resolution which includes the complete handling of disputes referred to the CCMA, Department of Labour, private arbitration and litigation in South African and International courts, including the Labour Court and Labour courts/dispute resolution forums in Namibia, Lesotho, Botswana and the Human Rights Court.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Customer focused.
- Deadline driven.
- Strong problem solving ability and quality orientation skills.
- Sound interpersonal skills.
- Decision making skills that can anticipate obstacles and overcome challenges in highly complex situations.
- Demonstrates discretion and confidentiality with all information.
- Strong relationship building skills.
Experience and Qualifications
- LLB or BCom Law degree (completed) or relevant law degree with at least 3 years private practice or as in-house counsel experience.
- At least 3 years Labour Law litigation and Arbitration experience.
- Excellent knowledge and application of Labour Legislation.
- Relevant experience in the Financial Services Industry will be an advantage.
The above-mentioned position is currently available in the Group Employee Relations and Labour Law department at our Human Capital division based at our head office 268 West Avenue, Centurion.
Should you be interested in applying for this position please click on apply, for any enquries please contact:
Email: Email Address
Should you not hear from us within 2 weeks of application please note that your application has been unsuccessful.
Desired Work Experience
- 2 to 5 years Legal Advisory
Desired Qualification Accreditation
- Grade 12 / Matric
This job may be removed before it expires.
Get jobs via email
Receive a daily digest of all new jobs matching this job. Your information is safe with us and you can cancel at any time