Legal Adviser at Sanral
Permanent Senior EE position
Undisclosed cost to company incl benefits
Job 2132809 | Ref EC#3649787
Posted 08 Aug 2017 by SANRAL
About the Position
The incumbent should be an admitted attorney or advocate with amongst others public and construction industry law as areas of specialty. The incumbent will be required to draft, amend, edit and review standard commercial agreements over a broad spectrum. Additionally, the incumbent will be required to have knowledge of and ensure compliance by SANRAL with the Public Finance Management Act (PFMA), including National Treasury's Regulations, National Treasury's Practice Notes, the Preferential Procurement Policy Framework Act (PPPFA), 2000 and its Regulations and the Construction Industry Development Board Act, 2003 and its Regulations and all other interrelated legislation and regulations. The incumbent will be required to provide legal advice and opinions to SANRAL Management and staff across multi-disciplinary areas of the law. The incumbent will be required to manage civil and commercial litigation by and against SANRAL, liaise with and attend consultative meetings with external attorneys and counsel as and when the need arises.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS/ REQUIREMENTS:
- LLB/ BComLLB, admission as an Attorney/Advocate will be advantageous
- Valid code 8 driver's license (The incumbent will be required to attend SANRAL committee meetings, as well as SANRAL stakeholder meetings outside of the office.)
MINIMUM WORK EXPERIENCE:
5 - 7 years legal experience, preferably within the public sector or a public law department of a
firm of attorneys.
- Be able to interpret and utilise a wide scope of legislation which includes but is not limited to the Preferential Procurement Policy Framework Act, the Public Finance Management Act, the South African National Roads Agency SOC Limited Act, National Treasury's Regulations, the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa and all other interrelated legislation.
- Assist SANRAL in ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Provide guidance to SANRAL in terms of new or amended legislation and the impact on SANRAL's business.
- Draft technically correct legal opinions and reports.
- Manage civil and commercial litigation as well as dispute resolution.
- Liaise with external legal counsel where necessary.
- Provide legal advice for SANRAL management and staff.
- Strong commercial law experience including drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES: - A self-starter, showing high energy and strong action orientation. - Strong commercial understanding and inclination. - Strong values and integrity. - Strong ability to build and maintain relationships and networks both internally and externally. - Willingness to create a climate for optimal performance. - Must be willing to travel.
- Legal research skills
- Solid decision making capability.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
Desired Work Experience
- 5 to 10 years Legal Advisory
- 5 to 10 years National Government
Desired Qualification Accreditation
About The Employer
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Limited (SANRAL) is an independent, statutory company registered in terms of the Companies Act. The South African government, represented by the Minister of Transport, is the sole shareholder and owner of SANRAL. The Agency has a distinct mandate - to finance, improve, manage and maintain the national road network (the 'economic arteries' of South Africa) and is committed to carrying out its mandate by protecting and preserving the environment through context-sensitive solutions.
The South African national road network consists of 22 197 km of roads. This network seamlessly connects major cities, towns and rural areas, supporting economic growth and social development and immensely contributing to job creation in the country.
SANRAL adds value to all the developmental initiatives in the fields of transport, education, health, and development of communities. It revels in its role as partners in the development of all South African communities and sees this as closely aligned to our core function.
SANRAL makes a significant contribution towards road safety by maintaining and improving our road environment, and by identifying and addressing road safety concerns. The organisation also aligns itself with local and international road safety authorities in order to learn and improve the safety of our road users.
The organisation will continue to actively participate in communities across South Africa and support the development of South Africa's human capital through tertiary institutions and cooperative governance.
Employer & Job Benefits
- Medical Aid
- Provident Fund
This job may be removed before it expires.
Get jobs via email
Receive a daily digest of all new jobs matching this job. Your information is safe with us and you can cancel at any time